Filing taxes takes about five minutes in Denmark, Sweden and Spain.
Each taxpayer is given a tax return, already filled out by the government, showing the estimates owed. It is fixed by the individual and then sent back in. It’s called “return-free filing,” and though possible — and suggested previously in the United States — it’s been opposed by some loud voices, according to an article by Pro Publica and NPR.
Intuit, the maker of Turbo Tax, and Grover Norquist, a conservative tax activist, have spent $11.5 million on federal lobbying the past five years.
If return-free filing was established in the United States, an estimated $2 billion could be saved collectively by the tens of millions of taxpayers who would be able to use it. Additionally, 225 million hours in preparation costs and time would be saved.
For companies like Inuit’s Turbo Tax, which helps Americans who wish to file independently without having an advisor, a government from would pose a threat.
Intuit said if the IRS prepare the forms instead of making people accountable for actually paying, the preparer could end up paying more money.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.