Filing taxes takes about five minutes in Denmark, Sweden and Spain.
Each taxpayer is given a tax return, already filled out by the government, showing the estimates owed. It is fixed by the individual and then sent back in. It’s called “return-free filing,” and though possible — and suggested previously in the United States — it’s been opposed by some loud voices, according to an article by Pro Publica and NPR.
Intuit, the maker of Turbo Tax, and Grover Norquist, a conservative tax activist, have spent $11.5 million on federal lobbying the past five years.
If return-free filing was established in the United States, an estimated $2 billion could be saved collectively by the tens of millions of taxpayers who would be able to use it. Additionally, 225 million hours in preparation costs and time would be saved.
For companies like Inuit’s Turbo Tax, which helps Americans who wish to file independently without having an advisor, a government from would pose a threat.
Intuit said if the IRS prepare the forms instead of making people accountable for actually paying, the preparer could end up paying more money.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them