PHOENIX — Every six minutes a child is hurt in a swimming-related accident. From scrapes, cuts, punctures to severe head and spinal injuries.
Doctors at Nationwide Children’s Hospital in Columbus, Ohio determined that over a million and a half swimming injuries happened in the U.S. between 1990 and 2008. The number of injuries in a year increased from nearly 80,000 in 1990 to 93,000 in 2008.
Kids accounted for well over half of swimming injuries and experts blame parents who just aren’t paying attention.
“We should always have an adult there to have control of the situation, not only to be the designated pool watcher, but to also have control of what’s happening around the pool,” said Phoenix firefighter Larry Nunez.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick