PHOENIX — As Valley teachers get ready to start AIMS testing, child behavior experts say there are some things parents can do to help children prepare.
“Children have a lot of weight on their shoulders,” said DeAnn Davies, Director of Healthy Steps. “We attach so much to them within our educational system, children may have more anxiety than parents realize.”
You can start by having a positive attitude about the testing process and pass it along.
“Celebrate that this is really is a time for your child to show what they really know,” said Davies.
Have a conversation with your child about the testing and let them know this test is very important, but does not measure intelligence, according to Davies. You should emphasize that this is a guideline that provides insight into how far they are progressing towards their goal of graduation.
Finally, keep your child on a consistent routine when it comes to eating, sleeping and studying. A well-rested, well-fed child will do better on exams.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.