PHOENIX — Come Sunday kids around the Valley will be combing through bushes and plants to look for Easter eggs.
And thanks to a Phoenix Police bomb squad detective, children who can’t see will also be on the hunt.
Jake Bohi donated 100 plastic beeping eggs to a local organization. It took Bohi three months to create 100 eggs, that each contain a sound emitter that helps visually impaired children track them.
The idea for the beeping eggs for blind children came about several years ago by a bomb technician on the east coast.
“He has a child who is sight-impaired and he wanted their kid to have the same opportunities as any other child,” said Bohi.
That bomb tech came up with the idea of using simple technology to create plastic Easter eggs with a beeper inside.
This is Bohi’s second time participating in the program, which has grown to the point where bomb squads across the country are creating the eggs and donating them to local organizations.
“Watching the children the first time we gave them away was priceless,” said Bohi. “Kids were hunting them down, getting on their hands on knees and finding the egg, putting it up to their ears and just the smile on their face was incredible.”
“It’s a great program, and one I’m proud to be involved with.”
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon