PHOENIX — Come Sunday kids around the Valley will be combing through bushes and plants to look for Easter eggs.
And thanks to a Phoenix Police bomb squad detective, children who can’t see will also be on the hunt.
Jake Bohi donated 100 plastic beeping eggs to a local organization. It took Bohi three months to create 100 eggs, that each contain a sound emitter that helps visually impaired children track them.
The idea for the beeping eggs for blind children came about several years ago by a bomb technician on the east coast.
“He has a child who is sight-impaired and he wanted their kid to have the same opportunities as any other child,” said Bohi.
That bomb tech came up with the idea of using simple technology to create plastic Easter eggs with a beeper inside.
This is Bohi’s second time participating in the program, which has grown to the point where bomb squads across the country are creating the eggs and donating them to local organizations.
“Watching the children the first time we gave them away was priceless,” said Bohi. “Kids were hunting them down, getting on their hands on knees and finding the egg, putting it up to their ears and just the smile on their face was incredible.”
“It’s a great program, and one I’m proud to be involved with.”
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier