PHOENIX — If you’ve been waking up congested every morning, it might be because you’ve been sleeping with enemy.
“Dust mites are microscopic insects that live of inside mattresses and pillows that can result in allergy problems, asthma symptoms and eczema symptoms throughout the year,” said Dr. Michael Saavedra with Phoenix Allergy and Asthma.
Pets and pollen could also be creating problems if you are prone to allergies.
“If you have pets, when they jump on your bed, they will leave allergen behind,” said Saavedra. “Also, a lot of people like to sleep with the windows open at night. This will allow for pollen to enter and be placed on the mattress and the pillow.”
Some recommendations to turn your bedroom into an allergy-free zone include:
Purchase allergy-proof covers for pillows and mattresses. They are used under linens.
Wash you linens at least once a week in hot water. Dry them in a dryer on hot.
De-clutter your bedroom.
Keep windows closed.
Leave all pets at the door.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night