Maryland’s Solar Wind Energy is working with the town of San Luis, Ariz. to build a pair of power-generating skyscrapers on the U.S.-Mexico border near Yuma and they would be the second-tallest structures ever built.
The blueprint calls for each tower to be 2,200-feet high and use a combo of Yuma’s incredible summer heat and water piped in from Mexico to spin huge turbines to create 500 megawatts of power each.
It could bring thousands of jobs for Yuma County which has one of the nation’s highest unemployment rates, hovering at around 30 percent.
Tourist attraction? Certainly. But Mike Conway with the Arizona Geological Survey said there’s one big catch: The plant would be close to the San Andreas earthquake fault.
“You would have to take a long, hard look at the stability of the towers when you could have a quake of 7.5 magnitude a mere 40 to 50 miles away.”
The world’s tallest tower is in Dubai at 2,700 feet. The Arizona power towers wouldn’t be built until at least 2018, if ever.
But according to Forbes, Solar Wind Energy stock was trading at one penny per share earlier this week, down from a company high of 32 cents per share two years ago.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier