One person was killed and two more were injured after an aircraft was forced to execute an emergency landing Thursday after experiencing engine problems.
Authorities were alerted to the crash after a 13-year-old boy on the plane called 911.
“He was calling from the plane crash site,” said Trish Carter with the Mohave County Sheriff’s Department. “He said that their plane crashed with his mom, his dad and himself on board.”
The boy and his father survived the crash. They were airlifted to hospitals in Phoenix and Las Vegas, respectively. The mother was killed.
The plane landed three miles southeast of Wikieup, Ariz., around 11:15 a.m.
Preliminary reports have indicated the single-engine Mooney M20 sustained substantial damage. The aircraft was scheduled to fly from Sedona to Shafter, Calif.
The National Transportation Safety Board and FAA have not released the names of the individuals involved.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon