PHOENIX — Firefighters from about two dozen Valley departments wrap up training Thursday at the Goldfield Workstation at Tonto National Forest.
Wildfire experts said Arizona is heading for an above-average season. Al DiBenedetto with Scottsdale Fire said there’s no longer an average fire season.
“The rains we’ve had this year brought a lot of growth in the desert and we didn’t get enough snowpack in the high country,” he said.
Carrie Dennett with Arizona State Forestry said the department is ready for the season.
“We have all of the firefighters and equipment we had last year. If we get more rainfall, we could see more frequent and larger fires in the desert,” Dennett said. “In the high country it all depends on if we get more snow, which appears unlikely. Typically fire season starts in May but that’s a moving target.”
United States Forest Service Chief Tom Tidwell has said wildfire seasons are about two months longer than they were just a decade ago and Arizona is one of the states most at risk.
According to Tidwell, conditions are similar to last year, when 9.3 million acres burned in the third-most active season since 1960.
Bark beetles have invaded 46 million acres of western forest (an area larger than the size of Missouri), which has created tinderbox conditions.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy