PHOENIX — Firefighters from about two dozen Valley departments wrap up training Thursday at the Goldfield Workstation at Tonto National Forest.
Wildfire experts said Arizona is heading for an above-average season. Al DiBenedetto with Scottsdale Fire said there’s no longer an average fire season.
“The rains we’ve had this year brought a lot of growth in the desert and we didn’t get enough snowpack in the high country,” he said.
Carrie Dennett with Arizona State Forestry said the department is ready for the season.
“We have all of the firefighters and equipment we had last year. If we get more rainfall, we could see more frequent and larger fires in the desert,” Dennett said. “In the high country it all depends on if we get more snow, which appears unlikely. Typically fire season starts in May but that’s a moving target.”
United States Forest Service Chief Tom Tidwell has said wildfire seasons are about two months longer than they were just a decade ago and Arizona is one of the states most at risk.
According to Tidwell, conditions are similar to last year, when 9.3 million acres burned in the third-most active season since 1960.
Bark beetles have invaded 46 million acres of western forest (an area larger than the size of Missouri), which has created tinderbox conditions.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.