In terms of energy, warmer cities may actually be less demanding than colder ones.
According to NBCNews, it takes more energy to warm a city up than cool it down.
The findings came from a study done by Michael Sivak, a professor at the University of Michigan. Sivak explained that in his data he found that an air conditioner is four times more energy efficient than a furnace or boiler, because of the energy it takes to heat up a room as opposed to cooling it down.
“The traditional view that living in hot desert areas is not sustainable should be re-examined,” Michael Sivak told NBC News. “Because my data suggest that from this point of view — mainly a climate control point of view — living in very cold areas is less sustainable than hot areas.”
Sivak also found that a city with colder climate like Minneapolis is over three times more energy-demanding than Miami.
He suggested that people in cold climates should find alternative heating methods to take less stress off energy demands, like building a passive solar house.
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck