GLENDALE, Ariz. — Preventing osteoporosis should start early, a Valley doctor said.
“Healthy bones begin in childhood,” said Dr. Tony Will of Midwestern University Clinic in Glendale. “It’s really important that children get adequate exercise in order to build up bone mass.”
From birth up until the age of 30, we are building strength in our bones. By the time we reach 30, we have reached the peak. As we age, we are more prone to fractures because of the loss of bone mass and bone density.
“So in those early parts of your life, it’s super important to build up your bones to the maxiumum potential,” said Will.
He offered these tips to help parents grow their children strong and healthy from the inside out:
Make sure they are eating a health diet.
Make sure they get plenty of physical exercise.
Ensure they are getting the recommended doses of calcium and Vitamin D.
Avoid soda. Some of the ingredients can leech calcium out of the bones.
Tobacco decreases bone mass.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas