PHOENIX — If your child feels a sense of entitlement or is spoiled, your parenting style might be the reason why.
“For a long time, we’ve studied what some people would call a Hover Mother, or parents who are too overprotective or too involved in children’s lives,” said Phoenix Clinical Psychologist Dr. Melissa Estavillo.
While it can comes from a well-intentioned place, there could be some detrimental effects.
“Primarily, we see a greater sense of anxiety in children,” said Estavillo. “Often times, kids feel like they don’t have the autonomy, so they are not able to accomplish things the way their siblings or peers are able to, along with that comes a greater sense of self-doubt.”
While it is very important to be involved in children’s lives, you must allow them to fail and learn from their mistakes.
“As hard as it is to see, the consequences for their mistakes are much smaller now than later on in life when they can be more detrimental,” said Estavillo.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon