PHOENIX — If your child feels a sense of entitlement or is spoiled, your parenting style might be the reason why.
“For a long time, we’ve studied what some people would call a Hover Mother, or parents who are too overprotective or too involved in children’s lives,” said Phoenix Clinical Psychologist Dr. Melissa Estavillo.
While it can comes from a well-intentioned place, there could be some detrimental effects.
“Primarily, we see a greater sense of anxiety in children,” said Estavillo. “Often times, kids feel like they don’t have the autonomy, so they are not able to accomplish things the way their siblings or peers are able to, along with that comes a greater sense of self-doubt.”
While it is very important to be involved in children’s lives, you must allow them to fail and learn from their mistakes.
“As hard as it is to see, the consequences for their mistakes are much smaller now than later on in life when they can be more detrimental,” said Estavillo.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night