PHOENIX — If your child feels a sense of entitlement or is spoiled, your parenting style might be the reason why.
“For a long time, we’ve studied what some people would call a Hover Mother, or parents who are too overprotective or too involved in children’s lives,” said Phoenix Clinical Psychologist Dr. Melissa Estavillo.
While it can comes from a well-intentioned place, there could be some detrimental effects.
“Primarily, we see a greater sense of anxiety in children,” said Estavillo. “Often times, kids feel like they don’t have the autonomy, so they are not able to accomplish things the way their siblings or peers are able to, along with that comes a greater sense of self-doubt.”
While it is very important to be involved in children’s lives, you must allow them to fail and learn from their mistakes.
“As hard as it is to see, the consequences for their mistakes are much smaller now than later on in life when they can be more detrimental,” said Estavillo.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns