PHOENIX — The 2013 Indian Gaming Conference brought dozens of protesters to the Phoenix Convention Center on Tuesday.
The protesters said casinos cause Indian communities to compete with each other, thereby dividing Native Americans.
“These casinos are doing nothing but dividing and conquering us,” said Paloma Allen, who is a member of both the Tohono O’odham and Gila River communities. “It’s Western values being put on an indigenous society.
“The Tohono O’ohdam Community wants to have a casino in Glendale, so they are at odds with the Gila River Community,” Allen said.
She said that the casinos do not make the contributions to Native Americans that they claim, and that Native American values should be taken into consideration when planning development in their communities.
Allen also joined others who were there to voice their opposition to the building of the Loop 202 freeway South Mountain alignment. They said the freeway would be built on what they consider to be sacred land. Allen said Native Americans are trying to preserve the land for the future.
“We’re doing it for our descendants,” Allen said. “I am a mother. It’s for my baby’s baby’s babies. We cannot let that freeway go through the Creator’s home.”
A spokesman for the Indian Gaming Industry refused to comment.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths