SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — Arizona’s official historian said Arizona would be a much different place today without its cowboy history and now a day may be set aside to honor cowboys, both past and present.
The Arizona House has approved a National Day of the Cowboy, and if the Senate backs them up and Gov. Jan Brewer signs the measure, the fourth Saturday of each July would honor cowboys, albeit not with a paid legal holiday.
Marshall Trimble said if you could be a cowboy in Arizona you could be a cowboy anywhere after dealing with our rough terrain, heat, snakes and scorpions, among other challenges.
“Cowboys are the American icon,” he said. “When people from Asia and Europe think of America, their first thought is ‘Cowboys.'”
Trimble isn’t talking about Hollywood movie cowboys. He’s talking about working cowboys who still make their living from the back of a horse.
“The cowboy is a huge myth with a whole lot of reality thrown in.”
One state lawmaker who opposed the creation of the day honoring cowboys is a member of the Navajo Nation. Democratic Rep. Jamescita Peshlakai questioned the honoring of cowboys when Arizona has no day dedicated to honor Native Americans.
Trimble said she should introduce a bill and he’ll support it.
“I’m sure that would have wide appeal and some of the very best rodeo cowboys today are Native American,” he said. “The Apache and Navajo; Rodeo is a big deal for them and that’s the American cowboy.”
Peshlakai may introduce legislation next January to create a Native American Day in Arizona on Oct. 12.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food