SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — Arizona’s official historian said Arizona would be a much different place today without its cowboy history and now a day may be set aside to honor cowboys, both past and present.
The Arizona House has approved a National Day of the Cowboy, and if the Senate backs them up and Gov. Jan Brewer signs the measure, the fourth Saturday of each July would honor cowboys, albeit not with a paid legal holiday.
Marshall Trimble said if you could be a cowboy in Arizona you could be a cowboy anywhere after dealing with our rough terrain, heat, snakes and scorpions, among other challenges.
“Cowboys are the American icon,” he said. “When people from Asia and Europe think of America, their first thought is ‘Cowboys.'”
Trimble isn’t talking about Hollywood movie cowboys. He’s talking about working cowboys who still make their living from the back of a horse.
“The cowboy is a huge myth with a whole lot of reality thrown in.”
One state lawmaker who opposed the creation of the day honoring cowboys is a member of the Navajo Nation. Democratic Rep. Jamescita Peshlakai questioned the honoring of cowboys when Arizona has no day dedicated to honor Native Americans.
Trimble said she should introduce a bill and he’ll support it.
“I’m sure that would have wide appeal and some of the very best rodeo cowboys today are Native American,” he said. “The Apache and Navajo; Rodeo is a big deal for them and that’s the American cowboy.”
Peshlakai may introduce legislation next January to create a Native American Day in Arizona on Oct. 12.
- Affordable small home makeovers for Mother's Day
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life