Tuesday morning three pedestrians were hit by an impaired driver suspected to be under the influence of illegal drugs.
According to the Phoenix Police Department a Nissan pickup truck was traveling westbound on Indian School Road and drove through the eastbound lanes before driving onto a sidewalk and hitting three pedestrians at a bus stop.
The pickup then continued westbound until becoming intertwined with a chain link fence.
One of the pedestrians was pronounced dead at the scene, and the second died a short time after arriving to a local trauma center. The third pedestrian was able to escape being hit and substantiated non life threatening injuries.
The driver, Raymond J. Barela, was taken to a hospital for observations.
Barela was booked into the Maricopa County Jail for two counts of manslaughter, one count of aggravated assault, and one count of aggravated DUI.
The second victim’s family has not been located at this time.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development