Tuesday morning three pedestrians were hit by an impaired driver suspected to be under the influence of illegal drugs.
According to the Phoenix Police Department a Nissan pickup truck was traveling westbound on Indian School Road and drove through the eastbound lanes before driving onto a sidewalk and hitting three pedestrians at a bus stop.
The pickup then continued westbound until becoming intertwined with a chain link fence.
One of the pedestrians was pronounced dead at the scene, and the second died a short time after arriving to a local trauma center. The third pedestrian was able to escape being hit and substantiated non life threatening injuries.
The driver, Raymond J. Barela, was taken to a hospital for observations.
Barela was booked into the Maricopa County Jail for two counts of manslaughter, one count of aggravated assault, and one count of aggravated DUI.
The second victim’s family has not been located at this time.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier