Tuesday morning three pedestrians were hit by an impaired driver suspected to be under the influence of illegal drugs.
According to the Phoenix Police Department a Nissan pickup truck was traveling westbound on Indian School Road and drove through the eastbound lanes before driving onto a sidewalk and hitting three pedestrians at a bus stop.
The pickup then continued westbound until becoming intertwined with a chain link fence.
One of the pedestrians was pronounced dead at the scene, and the second died a short time after arriving to a local trauma center. The third pedestrian was able to escape being hit and substantiated non life threatening injuries.
The driver, Raymond J. Barela, was taken to a hospital for observations.
Barela was booked into the Maricopa County Jail for two counts of manslaughter, one count of aggravated assault, and one count of aggravated DUI.
The second victim’s family has not been located at this time.
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain