PHOENIX — If you have a snack-snatching pooch, make sure you are vigilant about keeping all those Easter goodies away.
“The thing that would be most surprising for pet owners is that we are seeing more and more Xylos toxicity in domestic dogs,” said Dr. Steve Bishop of Animal Care Hospital in Phoenix. “It’s a really difficult thing to treat, extremely difficult to treat.”
Xylitol is a common sugar-substitute found in some baked goods, chewing gum and mints.
“Medium-sized dog that I had die about eight to 10 months ago consumed five sticks of chewing gum,” said Bishop.
He warned to keep dogs away from dark chocolate Easter bunnies.
“Milk chocolate is not quite as toxic. They’d have to consume quite a bit more milk chocolate to cause issues, however, just make certain that your dog stays away from any chocolate product.”
For cats, any type of lily can be very dangerous. Consuming even water from a vase that contains these traditional flowers could make them very ill and there is not antidote.
Other items to keep clear for both dogs and cats: Easter grass, plastic eggs or wrappers. Consuming such products could make your pet very ill or create obstructions.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food