APACHE JUNCTION, Ariz. — Two 16-year-old boys from Apache Junction were charged Monday with assault — a class 1 misdemeanor — for their connection in a bullying case.
Jim Knupp with Pinal County Attorney Lando Voyle’s office would not confirm if the teens were the same ones accused of bullying a 13-year-old Cactus Junior High School student. Last week, the student said the bullies caused burns on his arm and neck.
Although Knupp could not provide any details about the case because it involves juveniles, he said prosecuting such cases shows bullies that assault is punishable by law.
He also believes it helps open discussions about the topic and helps victims who may be afraid to come forward get the courage to do so.
“In cases where assault is involved it’s a serious issue and Mr. Voyles is certainly going to take it up,” Knupp said.
Voyles released the following statement on the Pinal County Attorney’s website:
“My focus remains fighting for safer communities, including freeing our children of school ground bullies. I remain resolved in seeking justice for all victims, including our juvenile victims.”
An advisory hearing on the bullying case is scheduled for April 11.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas