APACHE JUNCTION, Ariz. — Two 16-year-old boys from Apache Junction were charged Monday with assault — a class 1 misdemeanor — for their connection in a bullying case.
Jim Knupp with Pinal County Attorney Lando Voyle’s office would not confirm if the teens were the same ones accused of bullying a 13-year-old Cactus Junior High School student. Last week, the student said the bullies caused burns on his arm and neck.
Although Knupp could not provide any details about the case because it involves juveniles, he said prosecuting such cases shows bullies that assault is punishable by law.
He also believes it helps open discussions about the topic and helps victims who may be afraid to come forward get the courage to do so.
“In cases where assault is involved it’s a serious issue and Mr. Voyles is certainly going to take it up,” Knupp said.
Voyles released the following statement on the Pinal County Attorney’s website:
“My focus remains fighting for safer communities, including freeing our children of school ground bullies. I remain resolved in seeking justice for all victims, including our juvenile victims.”
An advisory hearing on the bullying case is scheduled for April 11.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them