PHOENIX — Arizona Senator John McCain returned to his home state Monday to host a town hall meeting at Goelet A.C. Beuf Community Center in north Phoenix.
The first thing McCain addressed was gun control. He said that people with mental disabilities and criminal backgrounds should not be allowed to have access to weapons.
“We need to have background checks, but we also have to make sure that those background checks do not violate the privacy that all of us citizens are entitled to,” McCain said.
McCain also went on to talk about the national debt that will eventually be passed on to future generations.
McCain said there’s a $51,000 debt for every man, woman and child in America and if we don’t do something to take care of it the nation will see furloughs for federal employees, layoffs at companies — such as Boeing in Mesa — and curtailed operations at Luke Air Force Base. The Arizona senator doesn’t believe there will be Medicare, Social Security or other programs in the future because the country will be broke.
The final topic McCain addressed before taking questions from the crowd was immigration reform. McCain would like to see more investment in censors, towers and drones to help U.S. Border Patrol.
The town hall meeting had supporters and critics of immigration reform. At times McCain had to ask the crowd to remain civil. McCain says immigration talks are long overdue.
Another town hall meeting will take place Tuesday at BASIS Oro Valley on 11155 N. Oracle Road. The meeting is scheduled to start at 4 p.m.
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain