PHOENIX — Arizona Senator John McCain returned to his home state Monday to host a town hall meeting at Goelet A.C. Beuf Community Center in north Phoenix.
The first thing McCain addressed was gun control. He said that people with mental disabilities and criminal backgrounds should not be allowed to have access to weapons.
“We need to have background checks, but we also have to make sure that those background checks do not violate the privacy that all of us citizens are entitled to,” McCain said.
McCain also went on to talk about the national debt that will eventually be passed on to future generations.
McCain said there’s a $51,000 debt for every man, woman and child in America and if we don’t do something to take care of it the nation will see furloughs for federal employees, layoffs at companies — such as Boeing in Mesa — and curtailed operations at Luke Air Force Base. The Arizona senator doesn’t believe there will be Medicare, Social Security or other programs in the future because the country will be broke.
The final topic McCain addressed before taking questions from the crowd was immigration reform. McCain would like to see more investment in censors, towers and drones to help U.S. Border Patrol.
The town hall meeting had supporters and critics of immigration reform. At times McCain had to ask the crowd to remain civil. McCain says immigration talks are long overdue.
Another town hall meeting will take place Tuesday at BASIS Oro Valley on 11155 N. Oracle Road. The meeting is scheduled to start at 4 p.m.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.