The U.S. economy may be well on its way down the road of recovery in 2013.
CNN Money reported that based on an American Express survey, less people are expecting a refund check from the IRS this year, meaning they will actually owe the IRS.
Almost 1,500 adults participated in the American Express survey, and only 59 percent said they were expecting a refund check in 2013. That number represents a 64 percent decrease from 2012.
Tax Foundation chief economist Will McBride explained that more people owing the IRS is actually a good thing.
“They are earning more and that means they get less from the IRS,” McBride told CNN.
According to American Express spokeswoman Melanie Banks, while the economy is making its way out of a recession, it’s still a hot topic on the minds of many consumers.
“While people are feeling more confident, they learned some valuable lessons,” Banks said.
Kelly Bendetti, a new Pennsylvania homeowner, explained to CNN that while she would love to spend her refund, which is expected to be less than $1,000, on a vacation, she will instead put it toward her student loans.
Bendetti added that moving forward she plans to pay the exact amount of taxes she owes during the course of the year, in an effort to prevent having to give “an interest-free loan to the government.”
“I just don’t understand how people want these huge giant refunds,” she said. “It means they’ve overpaid all year.”
- Peak your palate with gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again