GOODYEAR, Ariz. — The city of Goodyear is learning that when one door closes, another door opens.
Next week, solar panel maker Suntech will close its plant and more than 40 employees will lose their jobs. The news comes as Macy’s announces plans to expand its Goodyear online fulfillment center and Cookson, an industrial door manufacturer, prepares to leave southwest Phoenix and break ground on a new plant in Goodyear.
In a written statement, Mayor Georgia Lord said, “We are growing and ready to help accommodate companies like Cookson to provide jobs and expand our work base. The Cookson Company has been in business a long time and we look forward to the facility being among other businesses here.”
According to the city, Cookson already employs 140 people in the Valley and could hire 160 more when the plant opens in 2014.
When Macy’s 300,000-square-foot expansion is complete next year, company spokesman Jim Sluzewski said they’ll add the equivalent of 125 full-time jobs.
“Our online sales across the country were up more than 40 percent last year on top of a growth of more than 40 percent the year before that, so it’s been a quickly-growing business.”
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths