GOODYEAR, Ariz. — The city of Goodyear is learning that when one door closes, another door opens.
Next week, solar panel maker Suntech will close its plant and more than 40 employees will lose their jobs. The news comes as Macy’s announces plans to expand its Goodyear online fulfillment center and Cookson, an industrial door manufacturer, prepares to leave southwest Phoenix and break ground on a new plant in Goodyear.
In a written statement, Mayor Georgia Lord said, “We are growing and ready to help accommodate companies like Cookson to provide jobs and expand our work base. The Cookson Company has been in business a long time and we look forward to the facility being among other businesses here.”
According to the city, Cookson already employs 140 people in the Valley and could hire 160 more when the plant opens in 2014.
When Macy’s 300,000-square-foot expansion is complete next year, company spokesman Jim Sluzewski said they’ll add the equivalent of 125 full-time jobs.
“Our online sales across the country were up more than 40 percent last year on top of a growth of more than 40 percent the year before that, so it’s been a quickly-growing business.”
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them