PHOENIX — A recent parolee back in prison on sexual assault charges, was found dead in his jail cell.
Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office said Lane Halona was discovered in his cell at the Lower Buckeye Jail late Saturday afternoon. Authorities are investigating but it appeared to be a suicide.
Phoenix Fire took the nonresponsive Halona to St. Joseph’s Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
Halona was accused of attacking a woman near Mill Avenue in Tempe March 17. He was found asleep near the scene with the victim’s coat and was charged with two counts of sexual assault, aggravated assault and kidnapping.
He had served 23 months for aggravated assault and DUI.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night