PHOENIX — According to Phoenix’s Water Services Department, grease caused 26 sewer overflows in 2012.
Ken Kroski, department spokesman, said cool grease should go in the trash and never down drains “because it can not only clog the city’s sewer line and cost a lot of money to repair, but it can clog your private lines too and that comes directly out of your pocket.”
Kroski said, each year, water workers inspect about 300 miles of lines using a TV camera that spots cracks, grease and other buildup. Workers use a high-pressure water hose and a vacuum to collect the gunk and clear the lines.
Workers also set traps for roof rats. Last year, they caught nearly 400 – that’s about 150 more than in 2011.
“The increase in roof rats caught last year does not mean there are more roof rats. It just means that maybe they were a little more attracted to our bait,” said Kroski. “Maybe the winter was a little cooler and they wanted to get some shelter from our sewer lines, which can be warm.”
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon