Aviation attorney and Arizona State University Professor Michael Pearson said the skies are as safe as they’ve ever been, despite the FAA announcement that 149 control towers would be shut down.
Four of the towers are in Arizona: Phoenix-Goodyear Airport, Glendale Municipal Airport, Laughlin-Bullhead International Airport and Ryan Field in Tucson. The announcement was made last week.
Closures will begin to take effect April 7.
The decision made some people nervous about pilots directing air traffic themselves.
“This isn’t a new thing. This goes on at airports across the country that do not have air-traffic controllers,” said Pearson.
“A lot of commercial airports with air-traffic controllers will lose their controlling staffing at certain time, but commercial flights will come in after the controllers are off and land at the airport.”
The decision to close the control towers is all part of a larger political game, according to Pearson.
As a former control-tower operator, he said he’s seen the federal agency try to scare the public with similar rhetoric.
“Lots of folks travel and lots of folks don’t know the ins and outs of the way the FAA operates and the way the system operates,” Pearson said. “So they threaten to close certain facilities and people get nervous, they talk to their politicians to bend to the will.”
As for his students who want to become tower-control operators, Pearson has been telling them jobs will still be there.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development