PHOENIX — Police in Mesa began investigating the disappearance of a woman believed to be 27-year-old Vanessa Mendoza after receiving a call around 8 a.m. Thursday of a disturbance at an apartment located near Dobson Road and Southern Avenue. When officers arrived at the apartment, it was empty but showed signs of an altercation having taken place.
After two days of searching for the missing woman, Mendoza was found early in the morning Sunday with her boyfriend Genaro Silva inside a Chandler home.
According to Detective Steve Berry of the Mesa Police Department, the two were detained on scene and the investigation has now been upgraded to homicide-related.
Berry said that while Mendoza refused to talk, Silva told police that on the afternoon of March 15 he found his girlfriend inside the Mesa apartment with 39-year-old Daniel Barraza Gomez.
Silva said that he struck the victim several times with a hammer, which ultimately killed him.
In a press release Sunday, Mesa Police said that Silva, Mendoza, Sylvia Olivas (Mendoza’s mother) and Christopher Alejo were all allegedly at the apartment when the victim was rolled off the bedding and into a vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a desert location on the Salt River Pima Indian Community, where it was then set on fire and left to burn in a dry wash.
All four have been charged in the case, but Silva was the only suspect to be booked on one count of second degree murder.
Silva notified detectives as to the location of the victim’s body and remains were recovered.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon