PHOENIX — Police in Mesa began investigating the disappearance of a woman believed to be 27-year-old Vanessa Mendoza after receiving a call around 8 a.m. Thursday of a disturbance at an apartment located near Dobson Road and Southern Avenue. When officers arrived at the apartment, it was empty but showed signs of an altercation having taken place.
After two days of searching for the missing woman, Mendoza was found early in the morning Sunday with her boyfriend Genaro Silva inside a Chandler home.
According to Detective Steve Berry of the Mesa Police Department, the two were detained on scene and the investigation has now been upgraded to homicide-related.
Berry said that while Mendoza refused to talk, Silva told police that on the afternoon of March 15 he found his girlfriend inside the Mesa apartment with 39-year-old Daniel Barraza Gomez.
Silva said that he struck the victim several times with a hammer, which ultimately killed him.
In a press release Sunday, Mesa Police said that Silva, Mendoza, Sylvia Olivas (Mendoza’s mother) and Christopher Alejo were all allegedly at the apartment when the victim was rolled off the bedding and into a vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a desert location on the Salt River Pima Indian Community, where it was then set on fire and left to burn in a dry wash.
All four have been charged in the case, but Silva was the only suspect to be booked on one count of second degree murder.
Silva notified detectives as to the location of the victim’s body and remains were recovered.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths