PHOENIX — A speeding driver hit and killed a man standing on a sidewalk in Phoenix early Wednesday before crashing then running away.
Police said the accident happened around midnight on 19th Avenue near Camelback Road.
Witnesses said a driver traveling probably 100 mph lost control of his car before hitting the man then slamming into trees, a concrete pillar and fencing around an apartment complex.
The driver was able to get out of the car and took off on foot.
“We have witnesses that saw this car run at least one red light at Indian School before losing control of the vehicle …” Sgt. Trent Crump said.
Police have not released names of the victim or suspect, but they have a general description of the driver and can follow the paper trail linked to the car.
KTAR’s Jim Cross contributed to this report.
- Arizona State University professor accused of sexual misconduct
- Milwaukee Brewers release renovation plans for spring Phoenix home
- Phoenix police officers, woman injured in rush hour crash
- St. Mary’s high school in Phoenix cancels classes due to alleged threat
- Phoenix leaders deny petition to block city spending on more Trump events