PHOENIX — That’s it. It’s over. After a weekend of March Madness, your bracket is a mess.
Now, it’s Monday and you have to face all the bragging by your coworkers who are doing great in the pool. How are you going to handle it?
“If, at this point, you’re spent, you’re done, maybe you’re better off just putting some blinders on, focusing back on your work, and channeling your energy that way,” said Tom LaVecchian.
If you’re doing great in your pool, LaVecchian said it’s fine to gloat…a little.
“But the key is to always remain professional,” he said. “Even if you win the pool, it’s not life-changing money, so you’ve got to kind of get over that. Just get back to business and back to work as usual to foster a high-performing team.”
Valley sports psychologist Dr. Ellen Williams said if you’re doing well in the office pool, you might want to be careful about how you act at work today.
“If your boss is in the pool, gloating is probably not a good idea,” she said. “Congratulating him or her that their team did will probably go much farther for you than the $20 bucks would have. If you’re doing poorly, my thought is that it’s just a game. If that’s the worst thing that happens to you on a Monday, you’re going pretty well.”
Williams said if you’ve already lost $10 in the pool, look at this way: You’ve only lost a couple of lattes.
She joked that if you lost and still can’t face your coworkers, “you can always call in sick today, and just stay home and watch more basketball!”
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night