PHOENIX — That’s it. It’s over. After a weekend of March Madness, your bracket is a mess.
Now, it’s Monday and you have to face all the bragging by your coworkers who are doing great in the pool. How are you going to handle it?
“If, at this point, you’re spent, you’re done, maybe you’re better off just putting some blinders on, focusing back on your work, and channeling your energy that way,” said Tom LaVecchian.
If you’re doing great in your pool, LaVecchian said it’s fine to gloat…a little.
“But the key is to always remain professional,” he said. “Even if you win the pool, it’s not life-changing money, so you’ve got to kind of get over that. Just get back to business and back to work as usual to foster a high-performing team.”
Valley sports psychologist Dr. Ellen Williams said if you’re doing well in the office pool, you might want to be careful about how you act at work today.
“If your boss is in the pool, gloating is probably not a good idea,” she said. “Congratulating him or her that their team did will probably go much farther for you than the $20 bucks would have. If you’re doing poorly, my thought is that it’s just a game. If that’s the worst thing that happens to you on a Monday, you’re going pretty well.”
Williams said if you’ve already lost $10 in the pool, look at this way: You’ve only lost a couple of lattes.
She joked that if you lost and still can’t face your coworkers, “you can always call in sick today, and just stay home and watch more basketball!”
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments