PHOENIX — That’s it. It’s over. After a weekend of March Madness, your bracket is a mess.
Now, it’s Monday and you have to face all the bragging by your coworkers who are doing great in the pool. How are you going to handle it?
“If, at this point, you’re spent, you’re done, maybe you’re better off just putting some blinders on, focusing back on your work, and channeling your energy that way,” said Tom LaVecchian.
If you’re doing great in your pool, LaVecchian said it’s fine to gloat…a little.
“But the key is to always remain professional,” he said. “Even if you win the pool, it’s not life-changing money, so you’ve got to kind of get over that. Just get back to business and back to work as usual to foster a high-performing team.”
Valley sports psychologist Dr. Ellen Williams said if you’re doing well in the office pool, you might want to be careful about how you act at work today.
“If your boss is in the pool, gloating is probably not a good idea,” she said. “Congratulating him or her that their team did will probably go much farther for you than the $20 bucks would have. If you’re doing poorly, my thought is that it’s just a game. If that’s the worst thing that happens to you on a Monday, you’re going pretty well.”
Williams said if you’ve already lost $10 in the pool, look at this way: You’ve only lost a couple of lattes.
She joked that if you lost and still can’t face your coworkers, “you can always call in sick today, and just stay home and watch more basketball!”
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food