PHOENIX — Native American veterans and their families are honoring the first Native American woman to die in battle in a special way before the 10th anniversary of her death.
The first annual Lori Piestewa Memorial Gourd Dance was held Friday to honor her and all fallen soldiers.
“The gourd dancers want to honor her, to always remember her name and what she did,” said Wilfred Jeans, event organizer.
A candlelight vigil will be held Friday night to honor all of our fallen heroes at the Salvation Army South Mountain KROC Center, located at 1375 E. Broadway in Phoenix.
On Saturday there is a sunrise memorial for Piestewa. The event begins at 6:30 a.m. at Piestewa Peak at the Apache Ramada. Parking is limited. Attendees are encouraged to park at the Lincoln Heights Church, 2121 E. Lincoln Dr., and use the provided shuttle.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them