Phoenix made one of the largest job jumps in the country when it comes to construction-related jobs.
The Phoenix Business Journal reported that metro Phoenix saw an increase of 6,000 jobs in the construction field, the fourth-largest job jump in the nation.
Though jobs in the field have increased, construction companies are in dire need of skilled workers after the economic crash caused a shortage.
“Between the challenges of attracting new recruits and retaining out-of-work ones, there aren’t that many skilled workers waiting for a callback in many parts of the country,” said Stephen Sandherr, CEO of the AGCA, said in the report. “If the industry continues to add jobs, it won’t be long before contractors in some parts of the country are scrambling to find enough skilled workers to meet demand.”
Data from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics showed that the construction job increase brought the Valley’s workforce up to 88,500.
Phoenix was a part of the 43 percent of metro areas that saw job increases across the nation, with Dallas, TX having the largest gain of 10,000 jobs. Los Angeles followed with an increase of 9,600.
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees