PHOENIX — Reported cases of chlamydia and gonorrhea in Arizona have steadily increased over the years.
According to data provided by the Arizona Department of Health Services, “the number of chlamydia cases reported in 2011 increased by 2,390 cases over the number of cases reported in 2010, an 8.9 percent increase.
Cases of chlamydia among young people ages have exploded. In 2011, cases from this age group comprise 68 percent of all chlamydia cases in Arizona. In 2011, the female chlamydia case rate was 2.6 times that of males.”
Health officials also noted a marked increase in the number of confirmed cases of gonorrhea.
“There were 4,564 cases of gonorrhea reported in Arizona in 2011, with a corresponding case rate of 71.4 per 100,000 people. This is an increase of 1,315 cases (40 percent) over 2010 case reports. In 2011, the rate also increased by 40 percent over the 2010 rate.”
Carla Chee with the Arizona Department of Health Services stressed the need for active adults to be tested even if they are asymptomatic.
“People may continue to infect partners unknowingly,” she said.
Not knowing and subsequently not being treated by medical experts for STDs could result in long-term consequences.
“Gonorrhea and chlamydia could lead to infertility,” said Chee.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them