PHOENIX — Reported cases of chlamydia and gonorrhea in Arizona have steadily increased over the years.
According to data provided by the Arizona Department of Health Services, “the number of chlamydia cases reported in 2011 increased by 2,390 cases over the number of cases reported in 2010, an 8.9 percent increase.
Cases of chlamydia among young people ages have exploded. In 2011, cases from this age group comprise 68 percent of all chlamydia cases in Arizona. In 2011, the female chlamydia case rate was 2.6 times that of males.”
Health officials also noted a marked increase in the number of confirmed cases of gonorrhea.
“There were 4,564 cases of gonorrhea reported in Arizona in 2011, with a corresponding case rate of 71.4 per 100,000 people. This is an increase of 1,315 cases (40 percent) over 2010 case reports. In 2011, the rate also increased by 40 percent over the 2010 rate.”
Carla Chee with the Arizona Department of Health Services stressed the need for active adults to be tested even if they are asymptomatic.
“People may continue to infect partners unknowingly,” she said.
Not knowing and subsequently not being treated by medical experts for STDs could result in long-term consequences.
“Gonorrhea and chlamydia could lead to infertility,” said Chee.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns