PHOENIX — Reported cases of chlamydia and gonorrhea in Arizona have steadily increased over the years.
According to data provided by the Arizona Department of Health Services, “the number of chlamydia cases reported in 2011 increased by 2,390 cases over the number of cases reported in 2010, an 8.9 percent increase.
Cases of chlamydia among young people ages have exploded. In 2011, cases from this age group comprise 68 percent of all chlamydia cases in Arizona. In 2011, the female chlamydia case rate was 2.6 times that of males.”
Health officials also noted a marked increase in the number of confirmed cases of gonorrhea.
“There were 4,564 cases of gonorrhea reported in Arizona in 2011, with a corresponding case rate of 71.4 per 100,000 people. This is an increase of 1,315 cases (40 percent) over 2010 case reports. In 2011, the rate also increased by 40 percent over the 2010 rate.”
Carla Chee with the Arizona Department of Health Services stressed the need for active adults to be tested even if they are asymptomatic.
“People may continue to infect partners unknowingly,” she said.
Not knowing and subsequently not being treated by medical experts for STDs could result in long-term consequences.
“Gonorrhea and chlamydia could lead to infertility,” said Chee.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night