A gunman armed with a rifle was reportedly seen about 5 p.m. Friday at the University of Arizona.
There’s a report of a man with a rifle in the Administration Bldg. UAPD is on the scene. Please stay away from the area.
— Univ. of Arizona (@UofA) March 23, 2013
The university’s police department tweeted that students who need to evacuate the administration building should leave via the second story doors in the north lobby. It also instructed students to evacuate the Modern Languages Building via doors on the east side of the building.
A follow-up tweet said more information would come, but spreading the word to keep students safe was the priority.
A student newspaper tweeted that the campus’ sorority houses were on lockdown and traffic in the area was being moved away from the scene.
Officers from the University of Arizona Police Department are at the scene and
students and staff are being told to avoid the area.
As of 9 p.m., authorities say there’s no sign of a gunman and no report of any shots fired as they search a University of Arizona building floor-by-floor Friday night.
A police spokesman noted that it’s too early to say if the report was legitimate or a hoax.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night