A gunman armed with a rifle was reportedly seen about 5 p.m. Friday at the University of Arizona.
There’s a report of a man with a rifle in the Administration Bldg. UAPD is on the scene. Please stay away from the area.
— Univ. of Arizona (@UofA) March 23, 2013
The university’s police department tweeted that students who need to evacuate the administration building should leave via the second story doors in the north lobby. It also instructed students to evacuate the Modern Languages Building via doors on the east side of the building.
A follow-up tweet said more information would come, but spreading the word to keep students safe was the priority.
A student newspaper tweeted that the campus’ sorority houses were on lockdown and traffic in the area was being moved away from the scene.
Officers from the University of Arizona Police Department are at the scene and
students and staff are being told to avoid the area.
As of 9 p.m., authorities say there’s no sign of a gunman and no report of any shots fired as they search a University of Arizona building floor-by-floor Friday night.
A police spokesman noted that it’s too early to say if the report was legitimate or a hoax.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development