A gunman armed with a rifle was reportedly seen about 5 p.m. Friday at the University of Arizona.
There’s a report of a man with a rifle in the Administration Bldg. UAPD is on the scene. Please stay away from the area.
— Univ. of Arizona (@UofA) March 23, 2013
The university’s police department tweeted that students who need to evacuate the administration building should leave via the second story doors in the north lobby. It also instructed students to evacuate the Modern Languages Building via doors on the east side of the building.
A follow-up tweet said more information would come, but spreading the word to keep students safe was the priority.
A student newspaper tweeted that the campus’ sorority houses were on lockdown and traffic in the area was being moved away from the scene.
Officers from the University of Arizona Police Department are at the scene and
students and staff are being told to avoid the area.
As of 9 p.m., authorities say there’s no sign of a gunman and no report of any shots fired as they search a University of Arizona building floor-by-floor Friday night.
A police spokesman noted that it’s too early to say if the report was legitimate or a hoax.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns