GLENDALE, Ariz. — The Nevada Legislature is considering a bill that would allow for medical marijuana dispensaries in the Silver State.
On Friday, several Nevada lawmakers toured the Valley’s only dispensary, Arizona Organics in Glendale, to get a feel for what dispensaries are like.
“We wanted to come to somewhere where it’s very small and very tightly regulated, just to see how it works,” said Nevada State Se. Tick Sagerbloom, the bill’s sponsor.
Arizona Organics co-owner Bill Myer was honored to host the visit.
“We have nothing to hide,” he said. “We’re very proud of the way we’re operational. We’re very proud of the state’s program, and we’re willing to show it to them.”
Sagerbloom said the Nevada bill is patterned after Arizona’s law.
“It provides for a limited number of dispensaries like this. It allows for growing it. It’s highly regulated, and if you have a medical marijuana card, you can come to a place like this and purchase the marijuana.”
Nevada voters approved dispensaries in 2000, but Sagerbloom said “we’re just getting around to implementing it.”
He said that, unlike Arizona, dispensaries in Nevada will be “for-profit” companies. Arizona Organics is a non-profit group.
The Nevada Legislature is expected to have its first vote on the bill on April 12.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments