GLENDALE, Ariz. — The Nevada Legislature is considering a bill that would allow for medical marijuana dispensaries in the Silver State.
On Friday, several Nevada lawmakers toured the Valley’s only dispensary, Arizona Organics in Glendale, to get a feel for what dispensaries are like.
“We wanted to come to somewhere where it’s very small and very tightly regulated, just to see how it works,” said Nevada State Se. Tick Sagerbloom, the bill’s sponsor.
Arizona Organics co-owner Bill Myer was honored to host the visit.
“We have nothing to hide,” he said. “We’re very proud of the way we’re operational. We’re very proud of the state’s program, and we’re willing to show it to them.”
Sagerbloom said the Nevada bill is patterned after Arizona’s law.
“It provides for a limited number of dispensaries like this. It allows for growing it. It’s highly regulated, and if you have a medical marijuana card, you can come to a place like this and purchase the marijuana.”
Nevada voters approved dispensaries in 2000, but Sagerbloom said “we’re just getting around to implementing it.”
He said that, unlike Arizona, dispensaries in Nevada will be “for-profit” companies. Arizona Organics is a non-profit group.
The Nevada Legislature is expected to have its first vote on the bill on April 12.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night