Four Arizona air traffic control towers will be closed soon because of sequestration-related cuts, the Federal Aviation Administration said in a release.
The four towers that will be closed are located at Glendale Municipal Airport, Phoenix Goodyear Airport, Laughlin-Bullhead International Airport and Ryan Field in Tucson. Closures begin April 7 and will take four weeks to complete.
“We will work with the airports and the operators to ensure the procedures are in place to maintain the high level of safety at non-towered airports,” said FAA Administrator Michael Huerta in the release.
The City of Phoenix Aviation Department released a statement that the Goodyear airport would “continue to operate with a pilot-to-pilot communications system.” The airport is home to the Airline Training Center of Arizona, which trains pilots for Lufthansa Airlines of Germany. The center previously said it would move operations if the tower closed.
In a statement, Tucson’s Ryan Field said it petitioned the FAA to keep its tower open, to no avail.
The Tucson Airport Authority is grateful to our area’s elected representatives for their assistance and support in making our case for keeping Ryan’s tower open. We are disappointed in this decision given the significant safety and economic benefits the tower contributes to our community and southern Arizona.
In total, the FAA will close 149 towers, down from the original 189 towers that were estimated to close.
The FAA used four considerations to decide which towers to close. Towers were considered based on their importance to national security, their impact on the economy, the extent to which the tower is used as relief to nearby hubs and the tower’s impact on transportation, communication and financial networks.
The federal cuts that came with the sequester slashed the FAA’s budget by $637 million.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food