PHOENIX — The first Down syndrome-specific clinic in Arizona opened Thursday in Phoenix.
“The goal of the clinic is to provide multi-disciplinary evaluations and interventions for children with Down Syndrome from birth to 18 years within one center, so families spend less time pursuing services through multiple agencies and professionals. We want to become a one-stop-shop for families in Arizona,” said Dr. Robin Blitz, director of developmental pediatrics for the Barrow Neurological Institute at Phoenix Children’s Hospital.
“This is huge,” said Dolores Austin, whose 13-year-old daughter, Sarah, was born with Down syndrome. The family moved to the state from the Kansas City area.
“I found out there wasn’t a clinic here or in surrounding states,” said Austin. “We would literally have to drive back to Missouri for her clinic visits.”
According to PCH, the clinic will provide services in the clinic three times a month. Specialties include developmental pediatrics, genetics, physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy and a clinical coordinator.
Last year, 160 babies were born in Arizona with Down syndrome. More than 900 children with the Down syndrome have been treated at PCH in the last five years.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy