PHOENIX — The first Down syndrome-specific clinic in Arizona opened Thursday in Phoenix.
“The goal of the clinic is to provide multi-disciplinary evaluations and interventions for children with Down Syndrome from birth to 18 years within one center, so families spend less time pursuing services through multiple agencies and professionals. We want to become a one-stop-shop for families in Arizona,” said Dr. Robin Blitz, director of developmental pediatrics for the Barrow Neurological Institute at Phoenix Children’s Hospital.
“This is huge,” said Dolores Austin, whose 13-year-old daughter, Sarah, was born with Down syndrome. The family moved to the state from the Kansas City area.
“I found out there wasn’t a clinic here or in surrounding states,” said Austin. “We would literally have to drive back to Missouri for her clinic visits.”
According to PCH, the clinic will provide services in the clinic three times a month. Specialties include developmental pediatrics, genetics, physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy and a clinical coordinator.
Last year, 160 babies were born in Arizona with Down syndrome. More than 900 children with the Down syndrome have been treated at PCH in the last five years.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night