PHOENIX — The first Down syndrome-specific clinic in Arizona opened Thursday in Phoenix.
“The goal of the clinic is to provide multi-disciplinary evaluations and interventions for children with Down Syndrome from birth to 18 years within one center, so families spend less time pursuing services through multiple agencies and professionals. We want to become a one-stop-shop for families in Arizona,” said Dr. Robin Blitz, director of developmental pediatrics for the Barrow Neurological Institute at Phoenix Children’s Hospital.
“This is huge,” said Dolores Austin, whose 13-year-old daughter, Sarah, was born with Down syndrome. The family moved to the state from the Kansas City area.
“I found out there wasn’t a clinic here or in surrounding states,” said Austin. “We would literally have to drive back to Missouri for her clinic visits.”
According to PCH, the clinic will provide services in the clinic three times a month. Specialties include developmental pediatrics, genetics, physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy and a clinical coordinator.
Last year, 160 babies were born in Arizona with Down syndrome. More than 900 children with the Down syndrome have been treated at PCH in the last five years.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America