An anonymous note of compassion containing $40 was left Sunday for the girlfriend of an American soldier deployed in Afghanistan.
According to ABC News, Army Spc. Albert DeSimone, 25, was overjoyed by the random act of kindness from a mysterious U.S. veteran during a Skype interview with ABCNews.com on Thursday.
“I thought it was absolutely unbelievable and it brought tears to my eyes because it just made me feel good that people back home were there to be there for her, which has made her feel really good,” DeSimone said. “Plus, a veteran himself doing that for her and me just let me know that there’s still amazing people out there.”
DeSimone’s girlfriend, 24-year-old Samantha Ford, found the note in a white envelope underneath her vehicle’s windshield wipers, which was parked outside of a Dunkin’ Donuts in Arlington, Mass.
Written on the outside of the envelope was a note that read, “I noticed the sticker on the back of your car. Take your hero out to dinner when he comes home. Thank you both for serving. Him deployed and you for waiting.”
Ford’s car had a bumper sticker that says, “1/2 of my hear is in Afghanistan.”
Thrilled by the note, Ford decided to post a photo of it on her Facebook page as well as a military family-based Facebook page known as “Our Deployment 101.” Overall, the image received 1.7 million likes and has been shared over 221,000 times.
“There are no words to describe how I’m feeling right now,” Ford wrote when she posted the photo. “Tears in my eyes. I just wish I could thank whoever did this! God bless our troops and all of those who stand behind them.”
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.