A nice, cold soda might taste good in the moment, but the sugary beverage could lead to a not so sweet death.
According to ABC News, sugary drinks have been linked to 180,000 deaths a year worldwide.
A Harvard study made the statistical discovery and also revealed that of those 180,000 deaths, 133,000 were related to diabetes, 44,000 to cardiovascular disease and 6,000 to cancer in 2010.
The study highlights a recent issue policymakers have tried to bring to the forefront with legislation.
While some government officials like New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg — proposed a bill that would have banned super-sized drinks at fast food restaurants — have tried to combat the consumption of unhealthy food and beverage options, others such as Mississippi Governor Phil Bryan feel dietary intake is part of a citizen’s freedom of choice.
“It is simply not the role of government to micro-regulate citizens’ dietary decisions,” Bryant said in a statement to ABC. “The responsibility for one’s personal health depends on individual choices about a proper diet and appropriate exercise.”
In response to the Harvard’s findings, the American Beverage Association argued that their products aren’t necessarily the cause of the health problems outlined in the study.
“It does not show that consuming sugar-sweetened beverages causes chronic diseases such as diabetes, cardiovascular disease or cancer – the real causes of death among the studied subjects,” the industry group said in a statement. “The researchers make a huge leap when they take beverage intake calculations from around the globe and allege that those beverages are the cause of deaths which the authors themselves acknowledge are due to chronic disease.”
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy