PHOENIX — For some college graduates it will be hard to see how bright the future is when they are drowning in debt.
According to a report by The Institute for College Access and Success, two-thirds of college seniors who graduated in 2011 had student loan debt, with an average of $26,600 per borrower.
Meanwhile, unemployment for young college graduates remained high at 8.8 percent in 2011. Research was gathered from more than 1,000 colleges and universities across the nation.
“Many of them are graduating with more than $100,000 of debt,” said Dale Walters, CEO of KeatsConnelly, a wealth management firm.
Walters said that thought makes him cringe.
“Most definitely does. You look at return on investment and the cost has gotten so high, it’s hard to get a decent return on investment.”
Walters urged parents who expect their child to further their education, to begin planning and saving early. For college grads, “make sure you make your payments, not only on your students loans, but everything else. Take care of your credit rating. Don’t get into more debt too fast by buying a car or house too soon. Be patient.”
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy