PHOENIX — For some college graduates it will be hard to see how bright the future is when they are drowning in debt.
According to a report by The Institute for College Access and Success, two-thirds of college seniors who graduated in 2011 had student loan debt, with an average of $26,600 per borrower.
Meanwhile, unemployment for young college graduates remained high at 8.8 percent in 2011. Research was gathered from more than 1,000 colleges and universities across the nation.
“Many of them are graduating with more than $100,000 of debt,” said Dale Walters, CEO of KeatsConnelly, a wealth management firm.
Walters said that thought makes him cringe.
“Most definitely does. You look at return on investment and the cost has gotten so high, it’s hard to get a decent return on investment.”
Walters urged parents who expect their child to further their education, to begin planning and saving early. For college grads, “make sure you make your payments, not only on your students loans, but everything else. Take care of your credit rating. Don’t get into more debt too fast by buying a car or house too soon. Be patient.”
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development