PHOENIX — For some college graduates it will be hard to see how bright the future is when they are drowning in debt.
According to a report by The Institute for College Access and Success, two-thirds of college seniors who graduated in 2011 had student loan debt, with an average of $26,600 per borrower.
Meanwhile, unemployment for young college graduates remained high at 8.8 percent in 2011. Research was gathered from more than 1,000 colleges and universities across the nation.
“Many of them are graduating with more than $100,000 of debt,” said Dale Walters, CEO of KeatsConnelly, a wealth management firm.
Walters said that thought makes him cringe.
“Most definitely does. You look at return on investment and the cost has gotten so high, it’s hard to get a decent return on investment.”
Walters urged parents who expect their child to further their education, to begin planning and saving early. For college grads, “make sure you make your payments, not only on your students loans, but everything else. Take care of your credit rating. Don’t get into more debt too fast by buying a car or house too soon. Be patient.”
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night