PHOENIX — For some college graduates it will be hard to see how bright the future is when they are drowning in debt.
According to a report by The Institute for College Access and Success, two-thirds of college seniors who graduated in 2011 had student loan debt, with an average of $26,600 per borrower.
Meanwhile, unemployment for young college graduates remained high at 8.8 percent in 2011. Research was gathered from more than 1,000 colleges and universities across the nation.
“Many of them are graduating with more than $100,000 of debt,” said Dale Walters, CEO of KeatsConnelly, a wealth management firm.
Walters said that thought makes him cringe.
“Most definitely does. You look at return on investment and the cost has gotten so high, it’s hard to get a decent return on investment.”
Walters urged parents who expect their child to further their education, to begin planning and saving early. For college grads, “make sure you make your payments, not only on your students loans, but everything else. Take care of your credit rating. Don’t get into more debt too fast by buying a car or house too soon. Be patient.”
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas