PHOENIX — Homeland Security’s release of thousands of illegal immigrants included a 68-year-old Bolivian man who had lived legally in the country for 45 years, according to a news report.
There were 342 of the 2,000-plus detainees released in Arizona.
The Arizona Daily Star reported that the Bolivian national was among the group and had been granted U.S. permanent residency in 1963.
The man had lived legally in the country for 45 years, but was deported in 2008 because of convictions including five misdemeanors for drug possession, theft and possession of stolen property.
Three years ago the man tried to apply for re-admission through the Nogales Port of Entry and was turned over to Immigration and Customs Enforcement.
More than half of the Arizona detainees were classified noncriminal. Level 1 offenders have been convicted of “major drug offenses and national security crimes, and violent crimes,” according to ICE documents.
Pinal County Sheriff Paul Babeu is wary of there being a lone Level 1 threat.
“For them to tell us now, after all these partials truths — and we had to drag that out of them — I don’t believe them.”
The department recently acknowledged that the releases were because of budget concerns.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development