PHOENIX — Homeland Security’s release of thousands of illegal immigrants included a 68-year-old Bolivian man who had lived legally in the country for 45 years, according to a news report.
There were 342 of the 2,000-plus detainees released in Arizona.
The Arizona Daily Star reported that the Bolivian national was among the group and had been granted U.S. permanent residency in 1963.
The man had lived legally in the country for 45 years, but was deported in 2008 because of convictions including five misdemeanors for drug possession, theft and possession of stolen property.
Three years ago the man tried to apply for re-admission through the Nogales Port of Entry and was turned over to Immigration and Customs Enforcement.
More than half of the Arizona detainees were classified noncriminal. Level 1 offenders have been convicted of “major drug offenses and national security crimes, and violent crimes,” according to ICE documents.
Pinal County Sheriff Paul Babeu is wary of there being a lone Level 1 threat.
“For them to tell us now, after all these partials truths — and we had to drag that out of them — I don’t believe them.”
The department recently acknowledged that the releases were because of budget concerns.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night