An Arizona snowbird has left the state early to receive a royal honor.
Joseph Cotterill was born in Britain. He served as a missionary to China in the 1940s, where he was imprisoned by the Japanese during World War II. He has led Episcopalian churches across England since the 1960s.
Because of his service to Christianity and community, the winter visitor to Green Valley is now headed back to England.
“The Bishop of Oxford has nominated me as one of the people who should have the honor of being the recipient of the Maundy Thursday gifts,” said Cotterill.
Queen Elizabeth will personally give him a gift of coins during the Maundy Thursday services in Oxford, England. The services are a tradition in England that commemorate Jesus’ last supper and date back hundreds of years.
He’ll get two pouches of coins from the Queen. One contains specially minted coins. The other will amount to 87 pounds to represent the Queen’s age.
Cotterill won’t be alone for the ceremony. There will be 87 men and 87 women — also representative of the Queen’s age.
Cotterill hopes to get to speak to the Queen. He has submitted a list of his background and interests to Buckingham Palace in case the Queen wants to ask him any questions. Tradition says that recipients can’t speak to the Queen unless she says something to them first.
There is one way he and his wife are getting ready for the event.
“I’ve been practicing my bow,” said Cotterill. “My wife, who’ll be standing beside me will be practicing her curtsey.”
This is Cotterill’s second “brush” with royalty. As a young boy in Manchester, he came face-to-face with George V during the grand opening of a new library.
Cotterill says being chosen is a great honor.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier