What if staying slim was as easy as getting a good night’s sleep? A Valley sleep expert weighed in on the question.
“When you don’t get the right amount of sleep, seven to nine hours, your hormones get out of whack,” said Lauri Leadly with Valley Sleep Centers. “People are sacrificing sleep.
“Sleep is the main restorative tool for our brains, which regulates our metabolism and our hormones.”
Leadly added that a lack of sleep drives people to crave sugar, caffeine and other junk food.
Researchers have identified two hormones related to weight gain and sleep: ghrelin and leptin. Ghrelin tells you when to eat and when you’re tired you have more of it. Leptin on the other hand, tells you when to stop eating, and when you’re tired you have less of it.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy