What if staying slim was as easy as getting a good night’s sleep? A Valley sleep expert weighed in on the question.
“When you don’t get the right amount of sleep, seven to nine hours, your hormones get out of whack,” said Lauri Leadly with Valley Sleep Centers. “People are sacrificing sleep.
“Sleep is the main restorative tool for our brains, which regulates our metabolism and our hormones.”
Leadly added that a lack of sleep drives people to crave sugar, caffeine and other junk food.
Researchers have identified two hormones related to weight gain and sleep: ghrelin and leptin. Ghrelin tells you when to eat and when you’re tired you have more of it. Leptin on the other hand, tells you when to stop eating, and when you’re tired you have less of it.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development