PHOENIX — St. Mary’s Food Bank got a little help Tuesday gathering up some items it needs.
The food bank kicked off its “Peanut Butter and Rice To Fill Empty Tummies” campaign Tuesday and Arizona Cardinals Pro Bowl linebacker Daryl Washington showed up with shopping carts filled with food and a $10,000 dollar check to the food bank from Cigna Medical Group.
Washington said he knows what it’s like to be poor and hungry.
“I lived off of noodles for six or seven months straight,” said Washington. “I grew up with nothing. I grew up with not having a lot of things. To be able to be in my position and to have the honor and opportunity to give back, anytime I can, I want to be able to do that.”
Washington thinks all professional athletes who have made it to the top of their sport should give back to the community.
St. Mary’s Food Bank said it’s in desperate need of staples like peanut butter and rice. It also needs such things as tuna, diapers, canned soups, pasta and cereal.
You can donate those items at any Goodwill location in the Valley. St. Mary’s food boxes are located in the front of every store.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them