PHOENIX — St. Mary’s Food Bank got a little help Tuesday gathering up some items it needs.
The food bank kicked off its “Peanut Butter and Rice To Fill Empty Tummies” campaign Tuesday and Arizona Cardinals Pro Bowl linebacker Daryl Washington showed up with shopping carts filled with food and a $10,000 dollar check to the food bank from Cigna Medical Group.
Washington said he knows what it’s like to be poor and hungry.
“I lived off of noodles for six or seven months straight,” said Washington. “I grew up with nothing. I grew up with not having a lot of things. To be able to be in my position and to have the honor and opportunity to give back, anytime I can, I want to be able to do that.”
Washington thinks all professional athletes who have made it to the top of their sport should give back to the community.
St. Mary’s Food Bank said it’s in desperate need of staples like peanut butter and rice. It also needs such things as tuna, diapers, canned soups, pasta and cereal.
You can donate those items at any Goodwill location in the Valley. St. Mary’s food boxes are located in the front of every store.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier