PHOENIX — St. Mary’s Food Bank got a little help Tuesday gathering up some items it needs.
The food bank kicked off its “Peanut Butter and Rice To Fill Empty Tummies” campaign Tuesday and Arizona Cardinals Pro Bowl linebacker Daryl Washington showed up with shopping carts filled with food and a $10,000 dollar check to the food bank from Cigna Medical Group.
Washington said he knows what it’s like to be poor and hungry.
“I lived off of noodles for six or seven months straight,” said Washington. “I grew up with nothing. I grew up with not having a lot of things. To be able to be in my position and to have the honor and opportunity to give back, anytime I can, I want to be able to do that.”
Washington thinks all professional athletes who have made it to the top of their sport should give back to the community.
St. Mary’s Food Bank said it’s in desperate need of staples like peanut butter and rice. It also needs such things as tuna, diapers, canned soups, pasta and cereal.
You can donate those items at any Goodwill location in the Valley. St. Mary’s food boxes are located in the front of every store.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night