Minimum wage and productivity are not keeping pace with each other stated Senator Elizabeth Warren in a hearing of the Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee last week.
According to Policy Mic, if minimum wage and productivity had kept pace with each other between 1960 and today the minimum wage would be $22.
A $22 minimum wage would mean someone earning the minimum wage would earn about the same as the median worker does today. That gigantic increase would make American labor uncompetitive and many firms would go out of business.
Bringing the minimum wage up to $22 would shock the economy forcing many employers to eliminate jobs.
Instead, the Senate is fighting to move it to $10 minimum, where it would have been if back in 1968 minimum wage was tied to inflation.
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains