Minimum wage and productivity are not keeping pace with each other stated Senator Elizabeth Warren in a hearing of the Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee last week.
According to Policy Mic, if minimum wage and productivity had kept pace with each other between 1960 and today the minimum wage would be $22.
A $22 minimum wage would mean someone earning the minimum wage would earn about the same as the median worker does today. That gigantic increase would make American labor uncompetitive and many firms would go out of business.
Bringing the minimum wage up to $22 would shock the economy forcing many employers to eliminate jobs.
Instead, the Senate is fighting to move it to $10 minimum, where it would have been if back in 1968 minimum wage was tied to inflation.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths