PHOENIX — A jump in the economy could see a rise in the number of attempted illegal immigrants who die while crossing the border, a humanitarian group said.
Pastor Robin Hoover said border apprehensions are dramatically down from a decade ago and dropped during the recession but his fear is that once the economy is fully recovered the deaths will skyrocket as more jobs become available and more immigrants risk crossing.
Hoover said tighter border security around cities has forced immigrants into more remote, dangerous areas — places where summertime temperatures of 115 degrees are common.
“It is in our interest to find a better way of doing enforcement. Almost 200 people died on the Arizona-Mexico border last year.”
Geoff Boyce with the No More Deaths group in Tucson places 4,000 gallons of water along immigration routes each month.
“These immigrants are desperate,” he said. “Unless there’s a provision in comprehensive immigration reform that gives them a safe, legal way to come to the United States, we will continue to see them crossing the border and taking the risk involved and we will see men, women and children die.”
The National Foundation for American Policy said the Border Patrol identified 477 people who died last year crossing the Mexican border from California east to Texas. That’s up from 375 in 2011.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy