PHOENIX — Arizona certainly has the sunshine it takes to produce solar energy but continues to struggle when it comes to solar-power business.
While the state is second in the country in solar-panel installation, manufacturing is a different story.
Last week Suntech closed its Goodyear solar-panel manufacturing plant, losing almost 50 jobs and First Solar is struggling.
Thunderbird School of Global Management professor John Mathis said it’s time for a new line of thought in luring solar-panel makers to Arizona.
China dominates the world’s production of solar panels.
“Locating manufacturing facilities on tribal land that is close to where the source is,” he said. “There’s inexpensive labor and it may take some training. But it’s home and they earn the money here and spend the money here.”
China’s advantage when it comes to solar-panel manufacturing has been lower wages, which are beginning to rise. Mathis said that could keep more companies on American soil.
“At some point it will be to the advantage of U.S. companies to locate at home because of the labor cost standpoint.”
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments