PHOENIX — Tax season means a higher threat of identity theft with personal information being shipped online and by regular mail.
Becky Frost with Experian’s ProtectMyID said identity thieves are filing other people’s tax return using the stolen personal info. When the taxpayer goes to file the legitimate return, it is kicked back with the notification the forms have already been submitted.
It can take months or years to resolve the issue with the Internal Revenue Service.
“All it takes is a W-2, a 1040 form or any other form that contains your info,” she said. “A criminal has a wealth of info to carry out ID theft.”
Frost said the IRS has received more than 600,000 complaints from people who have been victimized this year.
Stolen smartphones are a goldmine for thieves because of the personal and financial info stored on the phone. For example, tax apps. People will snap a pic of the W-2 and not delete it.
“So you have a photo of all of your sensitive information including your Social Security number,” said Frost. “Make sure you delete these pictures after you’ve used them for tax-app purposes.”
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns