PHOENIX — Americans love March Madness and the office competition with co-workers filling out brackets.
But a Valley attorney said employers are becoming more impatient with workers who aren’t keeping their eyes on the job.
Jon Pettibone with Quarles and Brady in Phoenix said employers are losing money each year while workers stay connected with the NCAA basketball tournament on office computers, smartphones and other means.
Some employees even tap into online gambling sites on the job. Pettibone said employers have the right to expect employees to devote 100 percent of their energies to the job and they can fire people who put the tourney ahead of working.
“That’s why employees have to be careful in looking out for their job and protecting themselves,” he said.
And while good-natured ribbing of co-workers’ failing brackets is expected, Pettibone said participants should be careful with too much trash talk.
“Some employers prohibit harassment for any reason,” he said.
Pettibone said billions of dollars will be spent in the next few weeks in office pools across the country but there’s no way to quantify how much it will cost employers in lost worker productivity.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick