PHOENIX — A Valley travel expert said despite recent problems on Carnival cruises, people don’t appear to be having second thoughts about getting on board.
Louie Thiele is the co-host of KTAR’s Sunday afternoon travel show. He said very few people have cancelled their cruise.
“They’re all thinking, as many people did on the last two ships that got into trouble, ‘they had that terrible problem on the Triumph, what are the chances of it happening again?’
“The problem that Carnival is very concerned about is their company image going forward, and their future bookings,” Thiele said.
Thiele said three percent of the American population has taken a cruise in the past year, and that’s a lot of people. Bookings were up overall in 2012, but dipped in the later part of the year.
Carnival’s president recently announced the cruise line will go through a complete mechanical review of its ships.
Thiele said the company must improve the damage to its image that has been caused by the recent mishaps, and may have to lower prices to lure more people in.
“Carnival is beginning a brand perception problem, and that could cause the company to have to look at a price reduction,” Thiele said.
He does not know when that might happen.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.