PHOENIX — A Valley travel expert said despite recent problems on Carnival cruises, people don’t appear to be having second thoughts about getting on board.
Louie Thiele is the co-host of KTAR’s Sunday afternoon travel show. He said very few people have cancelled their cruise.
“They’re all thinking, as many people did on the last two ships that got into trouble, ‘they had that terrible problem on the Triumph, what are the chances of it happening again?’
“The problem that Carnival is very concerned about is their company image going forward, and their future bookings,” Thiele said.
Thiele said three percent of the American population has taken a cruise in the past year, and that’s a lot of people. Bookings were up overall in 2012, but dipped in the later part of the year.
Carnival’s president recently announced the cruise line will go through a complete mechanical review of its ships.
Thiele said the company must improve the damage to its image that has been caused by the recent mishaps, and may have to lower prices to lure more people in.
“Carnival is beginning a brand perception problem, and that could cause the company to have to look at a price reduction,” Thiele said.
He does not know when that might happen.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night