PHOENIX — A lot of people are being bothered by allergies in the Valley.
Tempe St. Luke’s Doctor David Mendelson said many of them are showing up at his office.
“We’re seeing a big increase in allergies,” said Mendelson. “Especially with the rain that we’ve been getting. That increases growth and pollen counts. The desert is starting to bloom.”
When asked what is blooming in the desert, Mendelson said “it’s almost what’s not blooming. We have a lot of trees, and grass and flowers.”
If you have allergies, Mendelson said closing the windows and using a filter at home can help you.
“I recommend using one that has a hepa filter,” said Mendelson. “That purifies the air in the home. I recommend putting that in the bedroom, let it run 24 hours a day, and close the bedroom door so that at least you have purified air in the bedroom.”
There are some over the counter medications that can help. Mendelson recommends Claritan, Allegra, and Zyrtec. He said if those don’t work, you should consider seeing your doctor.
Mendelson said allergies will probably subside once temperatures reach 100 degrees, but allergy season will start again in the fall when temperatures go down.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier