PHOENIX — An elderly man returns to to Phoenix on Friday where first responders saved his life to thank them.
On March 6, Paul Mercurio traveled to Phoenix for a wedding. Upon arriving at Terminal 4 at Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport, he experienced a serious cardiac event.
“I was sort of floating away,” he said. “I went into an area that where there was shining lights and stuff like that. I heard them say, ‘He’s back, he’s back.’ I guess I was somewhere I am glad I am not at now.”
According to airport officials, two Phoenix police officers noticed the man in distress. Sgt. Robert Griffin called Phoenix Fire while Officer Forrest Conner retrieved an Automated External Defibrillator. The officers administered a shock with the AED before Officer Paul Rooks, who was also on-site, began giving CPR. Phoenix Fire arrived to stabilize Mercurio for transport.
Phoenix Fire Capt. Brian Mengis said it was the quick efforts of police as well as the fire crew that saved Mercurio’s life.
“I’d like to tell them thank you for bringing me back to life,” said Mercurio, who represents the 34th life that has been saved at Sky Harbor since the AED program started over a decade ago.
According to information provided by the airport, “Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport regularly trains employees and volunteers to administer CPR and correctly use AEDs in the event of an emergency.
There are more than 85 AEDs available at Phoenix Sky Harbor, Phoenix Deer Valley and Phoenix Goodyear airports. There will be AEDs in the PHX Sky Train™ stations as well.”
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development