PHOENIX — An elderly man returns to to Phoenix on Friday where first responders saved his life to thank them.
On March 6, Paul Mercurio traveled to Phoenix for a wedding. Upon arriving at Terminal 4 at Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport, he experienced a serious cardiac event.
“I was sort of floating away,” he said. “I went into an area that where there was shining lights and stuff like that. I heard them say, ‘He’s back, he’s back.’ I guess I was somewhere I am glad I am not at now.”
According to airport officials, two Phoenix police officers noticed the man in distress. Sgt. Robert Griffin called Phoenix Fire while Officer Forrest Conner retrieved an Automated External Defibrillator. The officers administered a shock with the AED before Officer Paul Rooks, who was also on-site, began giving CPR. Phoenix Fire arrived to stabilize Mercurio for transport.
Phoenix Fire Capt. Brian Mengis said it was the quick efforts of police as well as the fire crew that saved Mercurio’s life.
“I’d like to tell them thank you for bringing me back to life,” said Mercurio, who represents the 34th life that has been saved at Sky Harbor since the AED program started over a decade ago.
According to information provided by the airport, “Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport regularly trains employees and volunteers to administer CPR and correctly use AEDs in the event of an emergency.
There are more than 85 AEDs available at Phoenix Sky Harbor, Phoenix Deer Valley and Phoenix Goodyear airports. There will be AEDs in the PHX Sky Train™ stations as well.”
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food