PHOENIX — Is it a coincidence or something else?
Last Tuesday, Catholic cardinals met in conclave to begin the process of selecting a new pope. On the same day, a horse was winning ninth straight race at Turf Paradise in Phoenix.
That horse’s name? Conclave.
“I didn’t even realize it was conclave day until after we won the race,” said Nate Smith, Conclave’s jockey. “It created quite a stir, you know?”
Turf Paradise spokesman Mike Scerbo said how Conclave got his name is a mystery.
“One of the original owners is in Australia, and we haven’t been able to track him down to ask him,” he said. “We checked out his lineage. His father is Saratoga Six and his granddad is Salt Lake. There’s nothing in his lineage to indicate why this horse is named Conclave.”
Smith said there’s no divine intervention in the way 9-year-old Conclave runs.
“He does everything on his own,” he said. “Three starts ago, he actually got passed by another horse just before the wire. He just dug back in and got by him the last jump. He don’t want to be beat.”
Conclave will go for his 10th straight win next month.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier