PHOENIX — Is it a coincidence or something else?
Last Tuesday, Catholic cardinals met in conclave to begin the process of selecting a new pope. On the same day, a horse was winning ninth straight race at Turf Paradise in Phoenix.
That horse’s name? Conclave.
“I didn’t even realize it was conclave day until after we won the race,” said Nate Smith, Conclave’s jockey. “It created quite a stir, you know?”
Turf Paradise spokesman Mike Scerbo said how Conclave got his name is a mystery.
“One of the original owners is in Australia, and we haven’t been able to track him down to ask him,” he said. “We checked out his lineage. His father is Saratoga Six and his granddad is Salt Lake. There’s nothing in his lineage to indicate why this horse is named Conclave.”
Smith said there’s no divine intervention in the way 9-year-old Conclave runs.
“He does everything on his own,” he said. “Three starts ago, he actually got passed by another horse just before the wire. He just dug back in and got by him the last jump. He don’t want to be beat.”
Conclave will go for his 10th straight win next month.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon