PHOENIX — Is it a coincidence or something else?
Last Tuesday, Catholic cardinals met in conclave to begin the process of selecting a new pope. On the same day, a horse was winning ninth straight race at Turf Paradise in Phoenix.
That horse’s name? Conclave.
“I didn’t even realize it was conclave day until after we won the race,” said Nate Smith, Conclave’s jockey. “It created quite a stir, you know?”
Turf Paradise spokesman Mike Scerbo said how Conclave got his name is a mystery.
“One of the original owners is in Australia, and we haven’t been able to track him down to ask him,” he said. “We checked out his lineage. His father is Saratoga Six and his granddad is Salt Lake. There’s nothing in his lineage to indicate why this horse is named Conclave.”
Smith said there’s no divine intervention in the way 9-year-old Conclave runs.
“He does everything on his own,” he said. “Three starts ago, he actually got passed by another horse just before the wire. He just dug back in and got by him the last jump. He don’t want to be beat.”
Conclave will go for his 10th straight win next month.
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes