PHOENIX — Fifty University of Arizona College of Medicine students learned Friday morning where they will spend the next several years as resident physicians.
And they found out in a unique way. The news was delivered via paper lanterns. Each lantern had a tag with a student’s name. Inside the lantern was a piece of paper that revealed their destination.
The class graduates in May.
Marianne Go-Wheeler of Peoria wanted to go to St. Louis but instead will be at Harbor-UCLA Medical Center. That’s fine with her.
“I have been in Arizona since age 3 so it will be good to see another part of the world.”
She is one of 22 women in the Class of 2013, along with Magdalena Espinoza of Phoenix. Espinoza will be heading to Boston with another doctor — her fiance. The couple is getting married in June and will be working at the same hospital.
“Oh, it’s funny and appropriate that this would happen. We have the same place. It’s great,” she said.
Her mother was with her at the ceremony and overcome with joy of her daughter’s marriage and residency. The moment, she said was “muy feliz.”
Once her residency is completed, Espinoza will practice internal medicine.
The class of 2013 has 23 Arizonans in it.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas