PHOENIX — Fifty University of Arizona College of Medicine students learned Friday morning where they will spend the next several years as resident physicians.
And they found out in a unique way. The news was delivered via paper lanterns. Each lantern had a tag with a student’s name. Inside the lantern was a piece of paper that revealed their destination.
The class graduates in May.
Marianne Go-Wheeler of Peoria wanted to go to St. Louis but instead will be at Harbor-UCLA Medical Center. That’s fine with her.
“I have been in Arizona since age 3 so it will be good to see another part of the world.”
She is one of 22 women in the Class of 2013, along with Magdalena Espinoza of Phoenix. Espinoza will be heading to Boston with another doctor — her fiance. The couple is getting married in June and will be working at the same hospital.
“Oh, it’s funny and appropriate that this would happen. We have the same place. It’s great,” she said.
Her mother was with her at the ceremony and overcome with joy of her daughter’s marriage and residency. The moment, she said was “muy feliz.”
Once her residency is completed, Espinoza will practice internal medicine.
The class of 2013 has 23 Arizonans in it.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy