GLENDALE, Ariz. — More than 15,000 people could pack into the University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale for the Crossroads of the West gun show Saturday and Sunday.
Crossroads owner Bob Templeton says crowds are up by 50 percent to 100 percent at his shows because of fears of a possible ban on so-called assault weapons and possible handgun restrictions after the Connecticut school shootings in December.
“Law-abiding gun owners don’t like to be scapegoated for the random acts of a madman,” he said. “They’re concerned about the future of gun ownership.”
Another concern is the growing shortage of ammunition. Many gun owners are hoarding ammo because the prices have skyrocketed over the increase in price of supply metals.
“We have four semi (trucks) filled with ammo rolling into this weekend’s show at the stadium in all of the popular calibers,” said Templeton.
The AR-15 semi-automatic rifle, the poster weapon for gun control supporters who want it banned, continues to be the hottest item at every gun show.
“The Obama gun control plan calls for a ban on the AR-15 and high-capacity ammo magazines and we have plenty of both this coming weekend,” said Templeton.
Prices climbed to more than $2,000 at gun shows for an AR-15 following the Connecticut shooting because the demand was so high. Templeton said the AR-15 is back into the $1,500 range, for the most part.
This weekend’s Crossroads event at University of Phoenix Stadium runs Saturday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sunday 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon