GLENDALE, Ariz. — More than 15,000 people could pack into the University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale for the Crossroads of the West gun show Saturday and Sunday.
Crossroads owner Bob Templeton says crowds are up by 50 percent to 100 percent at his shows because of fears of a possible ban on so-called assault weapons and possible handgun restrictions after the Connecticut school shootings in December.
“Law-abiding gun owners don’t like to be scapegoated for the random acts of a madman,” he said. “They’re concerned about the future of gun ownership.”
Another concern is the growing shortage of ammunition. Many gun owners are hoarding ammo because the prices have skyrocketed over the increase in price of supply metals.
“We have four semi (trucks) filled with ammo rolling into this weekend’s show at the stadium in all of the popular calibers,” said Templeton.
The AR-15 semi-automatic rifle, the poster weapon for gun control supporters who want it banned, continues to be the hottest item at every gun show.
“The Obama gun control plan calls for a ban on the AR-15 and high-capacity ammo magazines and we have plenty of both this coming weekend,” said Templeton.
Prices climbed to more than $2,000 at gun shows for an AR-15 following the Connecticut shooting because the demand was so high. Templeton said the AR-15 is back into the $1,500 range, for the most part.
This weekend’s Crossroads event at University of Phoenix Stadium runs Saturday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sunday 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America